About Me

My photo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Studying BA (Hons) Game Art Design at De Montfort University. It continues to be challenging as much as rewarding. Primary outcomes include 2D and 3D projects and 2am coffees.

Thursday 3 November 2011

Me+Video Games= Happy Fun Times

Xmas 1998.
I tear off the wrapping paper to reveal my first video game console bundle: a Game Boy Color and Pokemon Blue Version!  I couldn't have asked for a better combo. Until the later versions came out, it was the only game I had, so I was always playing it.

I take a certain approach to games. I feel that I cannot advance to the next level/stage until I find all of the collectables, I hate leaving an area unfinished. So, for example, in Assassins Creed I will not leave a District until I have done all of the side missions, found all the treasure chests and collected all the eagle feathers etc. Normally I'm not usually that bothered with obtaining the PS3 trophies, but if I find they unlock further material later in game, I will track them and re-try fights until I get them. But that’s just me!

Games on my shelf include Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, Red Dead Redemption, Motorstorm and the God of War, Resistance and the Assassins Creed series. I'm all for First Person Shooters, but I prefer adventure genres more, where interaction slightly over-rides shooting. I also enjoy hack and slash games, where your character carries out insane bloody weapon combos that send your enemies flying.




I have also kept up with the evolution of Nintendo's handheld consoles. As each new one came out, I went into GAME and exchanged the previous model to get money off. However, with more awesome eagerly anticipated games coming out on PC and PS3, I have rarely taken time to play on my Nintendo DSi, mainly because I haven’t bought a new game for it in a while. The only games I have for it anyway are Pokemon Versions and a variety of Mario ones. Hey, growing older is inevitable, growing UP however is completely optional.

I think Pokemon seems to be the most memorable game I can think of and I’m sure others will agree. It’s just something you find unable to get away from. You feel compelled to experiment with other Pokemon you haven’t caught yet and I doubt whether any player has gone through the whole game and not changed their team along the way - it’s just impossible to resist making changes. It’s that memorable to me I can recall almost any Generation 1 Pokemon cry.

Currently, I have completed all my PS3 games and am awaiting Assassins Creed Revelations and The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim and when I finally get off my arse, I will go and get Arkham City as all of the critical acclaim and positive reviews it has received make it hard to turn away from it.

However, my greatest favourite of gaming is and for some time now has been World of Warcraft. Thanks to South Park I was introduced to this MMORPG and after experiencing the Trial Account, I found that the game was totally worth the monthly subscription. I began in October 2008 and like many new players, I didn't know my class and played like a complete ‘noob’ until I studied the game inside out, from every source that I could find. Out of personal choice I am not on a role playing server, I don't love the game THAT much. My current guild is a social raiding one, everyone is eager to raid so I participate in most events. As awesome as they are, after knowing them for three years now, I am the only one who seems bothered to learn the boss tactics, so they all rely on me to share the knowledge! I feel a sense of pride when leading this coordination effort and also how my tips and commands result in triumph for the team.

 


To date, I have four characters:
             a Restoration Shaman http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nagrand/Makurai/simple
             an Arms Warrior http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nagrand/Konahrik/simple

Over time I have gotten used to the four roles of combat and I intend to maintain them for as long as possible.

From my point of view I enjoy games with a solid plot that’s easy to follow, with the odd twist thrown in, awesome environments/graphics, and if swords are involved, then some kick ass combinations. Given what I have found out about current issues and strategies in the gaming industry, it sounds like many future games will become parts of series and thereby extend existing games. As long as it involves finishing off enemies in a visually awesome state, then I'll gladly take interest.

So, to date, I’ve dabbled with all three gaming platforms: handheld, console and PC while I currently have a preference for the PC based WoW. As far as the future is concerned, I have found myself particularly drawn to games that involve the player making choices. My first experience of this was when I tried out Fable and discovered the character definition from choices made in game. I believe that whatever the future holds for the video game industry, I would personally be pleased to see this role playing genre expand. I understand that certain games have set characters that have a place in their own fictional world, but having the ability to create your own modified character/avatar is a vital role in an RPG, allowing you to create a playable character in your own image if you wished. I know that just by having the controller in your hand you feel that you are in the video game environment, but this sense of location can be taken a step further by having your character resemble you.

No comments:

Post a Comment