About Me

My photo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Studying BA (Hons) Game Art Design at De Montfort University. It continues to be challenging as much as rewarding. Primary outcomes include 2D and 3D projects and 2am coffees.

Thursday 7 March 2013

Interaction

Interaction with gaming is a manner in which we want to get away from real life for a while, yet the evolving industry is producing more games which are the definition of realistic, irony much? Pretty soon the fantasy world of video games will be no different from reality, the gap between the two is gradually getting smaller...

When the Wii was first introduced I thought the idea of it was pretty decent, a step up from the Eye Toy and dance mats that came with the PS2 and other related motion capture accessories. However I never got into it completely, with the genre of game that I play, it kinda felt like too much hassle getting into position (literally) to peform gameplay actions, and after seeing examples of this in adverts I though nah, no point in getting into another console when I'm already alternating between the two I already have.

Having said all that I don't mind going on Wii Sports now and then, It does feel good to have other parts of my body other than my fingers moving! It's also fun on Mario Kart simply because- it's Mario, you can't go wrong with the classics, I can proudly proclaim that I am ace on the DS having mastering drifting and power boosts, so I feels great to try it out in an alternative form. Although at the end of the day, we'd all just prefer to be able to play with just be slouched in a chair tapping buttons really.

Finally behind the wheel, yes I have put off learning to drive so far
 
Interactive gameplay come be perceived as having is ups and downs, although in certain circumstances it proven to be a helpful asset, even for use in hospitals. You read those headlines which small studies show how video gameplay proves beneficial regardless the age group. But even of the youngest of this current generation are being subjected to game interaction as a form of education. I remember the last time I went into Toys R Us, which was some years ago, honest! I saw those childrens version of laptops and educational cartridges.
 
My little brother is special needs and one of the conditions caused by his Syndrome is learning difficulties, although in many aspects of everyday life he is a fast learner. Since I'm a gamer and he takes great interest in watching me play, no matter what it is. As such my mum has on occasion tried to get him involved, as he likes pressing buttons a lot, which is cool anywhere except a lift where he sets alarms off from pressing THAT button. We have played on the Wii together and although he isn't directly in control, he sometimes gets a kick from holding the handset or steering wheel. Also I have a feeling that teacher and suppor workers utilise video game interaction as part of their learning curriculum, however I could be wrong, I'll enquire when I'm back for the holidays.
 
I suppose merging games with interaction is a good call, it certain can as the old saying goes ''make learning fun''. Proving there's more the gaming than blowing up stuff and shooting aliens.
 
I've never been one for virtual second lives (yes the irony that WoW nearly falls under that catergory) it seems to be an intriuging move in America http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=01200192F62O&full_skip=1
 

An interesting read: http://www.gamestudies.org/0301/manninen/

No comments:

Post a Comment